Worcester Shakespeare Company’s Mission Statement
- To perform the plays of William Shakespeare in a dynamic and accessible manner.
- To involve as many actors, designers, managers, and audience members as possible in the process of creating a production.
- Weather permitting, to perform in an outdoor environment, integrating natural light, ambient sound, and available architecture.
- To emphasize the words of Shakespeare as spoken by the actors, rather than visual elements of stage scenery, lighting, or extravagant effects.
- Above all, to tell the stories of Shakespeare in ways that illuminate our own imaginations and encourage us to imagine each others’ lives.
Alternatives is a non-profit agency serving more than 1200 adults with developmental or psychiatric disabilities throughout Central Massachusetts. Our mission is to provide each individual with the skills and supports they need to build a meaningful life in the community – a life that includes a real home, real job, and real relationships. In other words, not just being in a community, but being part of a community, with a valued role.
The renovation of this out-of-work mill into an inclusive community treasure is one example of the innovate ways in which we strive to achieve our goals. Besides our headquarters, affordable apartments, and an employment program for the people we serve, the theater, public plaza, artisan spaces and, eventually, a restaurant, all done with respect for historic preservation and utilizing green technology, give the community an entertainment and educational destination. At the Mill, we can sponsor and support community events, like the Worcester Shakespeare Festival, that people of all abilities can enjoy together.
To learn more about Alternatives, including volunteer opportunities, please visit us at www.alternativesnet.org